Friday, September 12, 2008

Benjamin Franklin Farrer has arrived!



Benjamin was born on Monday, Sept. 8th @ 5:44am (he obviously does not know his mother is not a morning person:) after 7 hours of labor. He weighed 8 lbs 6 oz and was 21 inches long. I know, how did he fit in such a short person you ask. No wonder I was so uncomfortable the last month! He was 3 days early (no 9/11 baby for me). I was actually scheduled to be induced on the 10th, and my last day of work was supposed to be the 9th. I told my nurse when I came in Sunday night to let the supervisor know I wouldn't be at work the next morning (I work at the same hospital where I delivered the baby). My water broke @ 10:30pm Sunday night just as we were laying down to sleep. No sleep for me that night. They actually put me on Pitocin to speed things along since I came in with no contractions. Actually, I started having contractions soon after I got there, but my doctor thought she needed to speed up the process. I guess she didn't believe me when I told her babies come fast in my family. After about an hour or so of the Pitocin and really hard and frequent contractions, I got an epidural--thank goodness for drugs. After that, it was smooth sailing with no pain and 2 hours of in and out sleep until I was ready to push. I pushed for about 30 minutes, with the doctor arriving 15 minutes before the baby came. With an epidural, labor and delivery isn't nearly as uncomfortable as 9 months of pregnancy:) Anyways, we are all home together now and enjoying our little bundle of joy while preparing for Hurricane Ike to hit Texas. What a week to come into the world:)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Congrats! He's adorable! I'm glad you're doing well.

V said...

Congratulations Bethany! He is absolutely darling. I love his precious little face & cheeks in the carseat picture. And that's great that labor went so quickly--that's a mother's dream come true, right?

Scott said...

[Susan P.--not really Scott]Congrats to you and Clark for a job well done! He looks wonderful.

Kayla said...

Congratulations you three! Benjamin is so cute! I'm glad that labor and delivery went well for you Bethany!